Welcome to Morning Call for August 18, 2021, and the Top Aviation News Stories for today. You can also search our Archives for older news stories by date.
AirInsight US Airline Index
Our performance index for US domestic airlines declined slightly, to below the 80% level that hasn’t been seen in the last 60 days. The Delta variant is having an impact on air travel, and traffic levels for August remain lower than those for July. The daily average of domestic passengers has dropped from 2.04 million per day in July to 1.98 million passengers in August through the 16th, the first monthly decline in traffic this year. Earlier hopes of surpassing 2019 numbers before the third quarter appear to be dashed, and the outlook for the second half of 2021 looks to be enough to move from profitable to unprofitable operations for most US domestic carriers through the end of the year.
- SpiceJet bullish on MAX- Moneycontrol
- Electric Ipanema takes flight – Mentourpilot
- Luca Bedon, Head of Advanced Technologies at Avio Aero, Talks The Future of Aviation – GEAviation
- SAA preens wings as unions grit their teeth – IOL
- Electric/Piston Skymaster Tested In Scotland – AvWeb
- Safair becomes an OTA – TravelNews
- Mango employees describe personal struggles – EWN
- SA-UK red list battle: Will petition encourage removal off the list? – IOL
- Emirates and Airlink expand partnership – Emirates
Urban Air Mobility
- Why delivery drones are struggling to take off – even with DHL and Amazon on board – TechRadar
- Video emerges of Afghans clinging on to C-17 at Kabul Airport yesterday – Twitter